There’s a popular medicinal herb you can give your dog these days…and it’s called Hemp Oil...Pet parents are using it to help their pets with a wide range of ailments – from anxiety to arthritis to cancer.
For a long time, hemp was illegal in the US and other countries because it got lumped in with other forms of cannabis. Today, you can buy hempseed products in your local grocery store – not just soaps and lotions, but hempseed protein powders and drinks like hempseed milk.
Is your dog missing out on a great superfood?
You might be thinking, “Hemp is a variety of cannabis, I’m not giving that to my dog!” If you are, it would be too bad because hemp has many health promoting properties nearly every dog could use! It’s growing popularity is evidence by it’s appearance at the 2017 Global Pet Expo
Hemp is one of our oldest and most versatile plants, dating back to the 28th century BC. Unlike fish oil, hemp seed oil contains the perfect ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids.
These are essential fatty acids dogs must get through their diet since they can’t produce them. A good balance of these Omega oils is critical to your dog’s health.
1. Reduces Joint Pain Better Than Glucosamine Researchers in the Journal of Arthritis and Rheumatology found that the GLA found in hemp seeds reduced arthritis symptoms by 25% compared to the placebo at 4%. Once again, this is because the perfect balance of fatty acids helps to reduce inflammation naturally.
2. Improves Skin and Coat Hemp seed has long been used in cosmetic products and soaps because the oil can penetrate the inner layers of the skin and promote healthy cellular growth. The balanced fatty acids also play an important role in reducing the inflammation associated with common skin issues, including atopic dermatitis, pruritic skin disease and granulomas
3. Fights Cancer Researchers at the American Cancer Society say there’s evidence that people with cancer, diabetes and skin allergies don’t make enough GLA … and these issues are incredibly common in dogs too. While GLA is considered a conditionally essential fatty acid, there are many circumstances where dogs can’t make enough GLA and supplementing can become important.
Other benefits include:
• Improving health and general wellness
• Reduces inflammation
• Increases muscle repair after exercises
• Improves blood circulation
• Promotes bone growth
• Reduces pain
• Stimulates appetite
• Reduces nausea
• Lowers blood sugar levels
• Minimizes noise phobias and aggression
• Fights aging and degenerative diseases
• Increases cognitive functions
• Inhibits the growth of cancer cells
• Helps to reduce or control seizures
Supplements can work differently depending on your pet. However, these benefits can help both people and pets!
As with any herbal medicine, for most ailments you may not see an immediate effect, although some users do report fast relief of symptoms. The safest guidance is to follow directions and exercise patience.
Your dog may feel some pain relief in a few hours but other symptoms like inflammation may take a few days to show improvement.
Australian holistic veterinarian Dr Edward Bassingthwaighte reports being amazed at the success he’s had treating some dogs with cannabis. A few case studies include:
• One is a senior Staffy who had a fast-growing tumor about 6 cm in diameter in her mammary gland. Chest x-rays showed there might be mestatasis. Dr Bassingthwaighte treated her with CBD oil and some other herbal medicines. The tumor shrank away to nothing over three months and she’s still going strong six months later, with no recurrence.
• The other case is an older Jack Russell with a severe heart murmur and arthritis. After a month of CBD oil treatment he was much happier and more active, wanting to go for long walks, and his heart murmur was much less severe.
The safest way to use CBD for your dog is to use a product that’s formulated for pets. There are several companies producing CBD hemp for dogs. Preorders are now open for OmegaPet’s Hemp 250+, a high potency CBD/Hemp oil for dogs made in the US.
Normally $79.99, customers who pre order before the July 18 release date can get this for just $29.99 + free shipping.
OmegaPet is a leading destination for pet owners looking for premium health and grooming essentials. Established in 2012, the Charlotte based company currently serves pet parents and professionals in 7 countries.